How to perform cleans… Pound for pound, cleans are one of the most effective exercises for building full body strength. If you are looking to maximise the amount of body fat burnt per repetition then this movement is also for you. You can also add the overhead press (using legs to assist) to up the ante, and you will burn even more fat and build more strength.
Executing cleans is 90% technique and 10% actual strength. The more sound your mastery of the intricate parts of this movement then more weight you will be able to lift.
Main Muscles: Full Body
– Grab the bar outside of shoulder width with your feet just inside and toes slightly turned outwards
– Keep your ass out, lower back concaved and core tight
– Drive your feet through the floor and thrust your hips forward in an explosive manner
– Get your elbows up and under the bar as quickly as possible while bending your knees to drop down yourself underneath the bar
– Avoid leaning backwards in order to protect your lower back (push your bum out and keep your heels flat so that your glutes take the load)
A variation of the standard superman…
… the superman press will kick those stubborn postural muscles into action!
You should be able to feel the kinetic chain working from your gluteus all the way up to your trapezius muscles. Be sure that your thumbs are facing upwards and that you are lifting everything off of the floor – chest, arms, thighs, everything! Use this exercise along with others that will strengthen your upper back/rear shoulders in order to correct issues like kyphosis, lordosis and a poor posture.