Bootybuilding at it’s best. If you’re looking to build amazing glutes then incorporate this advanced movement into your leg day routine.
Main Muscles: Gluteus Maximus & Medius, Hamstrings, Adductors, Quadriceps
– Keep your chest high, ass out & back straight
– Begin with both feet on the box, so that you can lunge laterally onto the floor
– Lock the knee on the stationary leg and keep the foot flat on the box
– Keep your back arched and chest up when reaching for the floor
– Push through the heel on the lunging leg to drive yourself back up on to the box
– Train both sides evenly
Use this exercise to build amazing quadriceps! Word of advice: The higher the box, the more quad engagement you will experience.
Main Muscles: Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Gluteus Maximus
– Keep your chest up, back arched and core tight
– Begin standing with both feet on the box, so that you can lunge off of it onto the floor
– Lunge so that your back knee lines up with your leading heel
– Keeping your bodyweight on your leading heel and your back arched, take your chest towards your thigh until you feel your quadriceps engage
– Push your heel through the floor to drive yourself back on to the box
– Train both sides evenly
Over time, box squats will help improve the position of the pelvis and lumbar (lower) spine while squatting. Doing so will ensure that the correct muscles are being worked and prevent injury.
Main Muscles: Gluteus Maximus, Hamstrings, Quadriceps
– Keep your chest up, ass out and core tight
– Make sure the bar is resting on your traps rather than your neck
– Push your ass towards the box and rest 20% of your body weight on it before driving yourself back upwards
– Push your heels through the floor on the ascent
The overhead squat is probably the most difficult two-legged squat to master, as it is an advanced move that requires
strict form and a lot of core strength.
Main Muscles: Gluteus Maximus, Hamstrings, Inner Core, Quadriceps
– Take a wide grip outside of shoulders width
– Lock your elbows
– Keep your core tight, ass out, chest high and back straight
– Squeeze your shoulder blades together throughout the movement while balancing the bar overhead
– Keep your bodyweight on your heels
– Squat ass-to-the-grass
Supine Hamstring Curls is a beginners exercise that will help build strength in hamstrings. I recommend using them in circuits or super sets with squats or dead lifts.
Main Muscles: Hamstrings
– Keep your back straight, core tight and hips off of the floor
– Begin with your Achilles on the ball and knees locked
– Pull your heels towards your buttocks and extend your legs back out
– Use full range of motion
If you are unable to keep your back arched and chest up when bending over you should not reach for the floor. For some people (especially beginners) getting the leg bent into a 90 degree angle is enough.
Main Muscles: gluteus maximus, hamstrings, quadriceps
– Keep your chest high, back straight & core tight
– Give yourself plenty of space between the bench and your lead leg
– Keep your foot flat and push through the heel of the lead leg
– Squat until the knee on your lead leg is less than 90°
– Keep your chest behind your knees at all times